Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Spring Break of Baby Food Making

And so it began...

Mmm. Fresh Pears

Spring Break was a week of baby food making. Sunday we went to market and gathered a plethora of fresh fruits and vegetables and stocked the shelves of our home and all for the smallest member of our family. The 6 month old is finally ready to REALLY start eating baby food. She has been super interested for a while now and we have fiddled with some food in the fresh food mesh feeders which she loved!

On the agenda was bananas, pears, apples, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash and avacados.

As I was discussing with Mother in law and sister in law, regular store bought food (not even organic) costs about 50cents per container for starter foods. For my prices I made Pink Lady apples for about 8 cents a serving and made about 50 servings from one and a half bags of organic apples.

Monday I started with apples, which was quick and speedy even considering I didn't have an apple wedge/corer. (That has since been remedied). Apples Link

I also made lasagnas this day and cut grass followed by getting sick. This is why Tuesday there was almost no baby food making. Luckily I managed sweet potatoes. This took more effort than I expected, maybe because I would have rather been sleeping but oh well. Sweet Potatoes Link.


Wednesday I was feeling better but baby was sick all night/day and only wanted to be held... even during naps. Tough day. Needless to say there was definitely no baby food making today. (Was glad I got all done yesterday!)

Thursday I had a rejuvenated spirit and tackled pears and bananas. Both are very easy to make! PEARS  BANANAS

Friday I was my busiest since I knew my week was coming to an end. I had a happy baby who watched and played while mommy made CARROTS, finished assembling lasagnas, and made dinner and breakfast for months... WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLES! Luckily for Sarvis, Ross and Forrest they got to sample these delicious treats as they were being made. In the words of Forrest... "How do you make these? They are so good you don't even need syrup!"
This was a great compliment seeing as how I ended waffles and cleaning etc around midnight...(short visit to grocery store to gather needed ingredients for this weekends cooking adventures!)

In upcoming posts I will tell how I made each of these delectable items. Unfortunately for you, I did not document all of the cooking experiences with pictures like I should have.
Hey... give me a break I am still new to this whole blogging thing and it has been quite a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment